Sunday, March 22, 2009

Five Minute Loopy Flowers

These flowers are so quick and easy, you'll become addicted to making them!



STEP 1: Cut felt into desired width. This sample is about 2.5" wide.


STEP 2: Fold the strip in half length-wise and baste the two edges together using embroidery floss of strong thread.


STEP 3: On the loopy side cut into the strip like you are making fringe. These will be your flower petals. Below is a side view of the loop flower petals you have created so far.

STEP 4: Cut your thread and pull the two ends together, cinching the flower into a circle. Tie a knot with the two loose ends to close.

STEP 5: Cover the center opening with a large button or embellish with other felt layers/flowers/etc. as desired. Your cute flower is ready to use in a project! :D

Cut your strip wider for larger flowers. You can then layer these together to make a fuller looking flower, as shown below.


Another fun option is to use sharp pinking scissors to cut your "fringe" flower petals.

Here is a sample flower with two layers of zig-zagged petals.


I made the one below using crepe paper birthday streamers. Instead of stitching the two edges together, I glued them, cut the fringe, and then attached the strip of loopy fringe to a punched circle cardstock base.
Here is the back of the birthday streamer flower.
For a shabby flower, I used wide grosgrain ribbon. When you cut the fringe into the ribbon the edges fray a bit, giving you this cute look!
Here's another sample. This ribbon had wire in it which I simply removed after stitching the two edges together.

You can layer your different flowers together to create infinite possibilities!

And here is a card I made using one of my flowers. (Card design inspired by Melissa Phillips)

I hope you have fun with this technique!!!! Link us up to your creations! We'd love to see them!

8 comments:

sazza said...

Love them! Would use them on clothing too - would look great on a blazer.

Tara said...

Too cute! I know what I'm doing tonight!

Greta Adams said...

these are too freaking cute...i can see what my newest embellsihments will be here soon...they look so easy and so so pretty...TFS!!

Adriann said...

Really cute and fun! I can't wait to try and make them.

Thanks for sharing!!

Lynette said...

Thank you Jana...this seems a great idea to use up all that stash of ribbons.

Stacy said...

These are great! Thanks for the instructions. I cannot wait to make these!

Nancy Ward said...

Hi!

Today I posted an entry on my blgo with a link to this tutorial.

Would you let me know if that's OK?

Thanks,

Nancy Ward
http://paperfriendly.blogspot.com

krazgrl said...

OHHHH I can't wait until my next get together with my the girls to make some of these cute little buttons. TFS! :)