Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Title Tip- Masking a Unique Looking Title

Sometimes when creating a layout, I don't have the right letter stickers that match the mood of the layout, or I'm missing letters from the set that I do have, so I have to improvise.
When creating this "Community" layout, I wanted some letters that were soft looking, but still had some impact & punch against the pretty blue of the cardstock.
I decided to cut out the title on my Silhouette (more about my favorite tool, here!) and then use the negative space as a mask for my blue ink pad & dauber. I just loaded up my dauber with blue ink and lightly tapped it over the mask. I added a little bit of olive green on top of it just to add dimension.
I then removed the mask and outlined the title with my white gel pen, then scratchily went around that with my black pen. I love the look this gives, and it's a fun way to experiment within boundaries.
(Layout created with the Sunkissed kit) I did the same technique in the above photo on a canvas album I'm working on, with a mixture of glimmer mists and inks. It's fun- try it out!

1 comment:

Mel said...

Wow I just misted the background on a layout with the 12 x 12 empty prima letters we got with the Somona kit, I just love love this idea, gorgeous.